Working with Teams
This tutorial shows you how to work with teams in the nRF Cloud portal. For more information about the feature and concepts, see Teams.
Creating a team
When you create a new account in the nRF Cloud portal, a team is created for you. You are the owner of that team as the only member. A team can only have one owner.
To create additional teams, complete the following steps in the portal:
- Click the menu icon in the upper right corner and select Team.
- Click the gear icon next to the Current Team page title and select Create.
- Give your team a name and click Save.
The Current Team page now shows the new team name and ID.
Renaming a team
Only the owner can rename a team.
To rename a team, complete the following steps in the nRF Cloud portal:
- Select the team you want to rename in the upper right corner next to the menu.
- Click the gear icon next to the Current Team page title and select Rename.
- Enter a new name for the team and click Save.
The new name of the team appears in the upper right corner of the bar next to the menu and on the Current Team page.
Deleting a team
Only the owner can delete a team. All users are removed from the team, all associated devices are deleted, and any outstanding invitations are rejected.
To delete a team, complete the following steps in the nRF Cloud portal:
- Select the team you want to delete in the upper right corner next to the menu.
- Click the gear icon next to the Current Team page title and select Delete.
- Click OK to confirm you want to leave the team.
If you delete your only team, you are logged out. The next time you log in, a new team is created for you as if you just created the account.
The team is also deleted if the owner leaves it.
Leaving a team
You can leave a team at any time.
If you are a team owner, do not leave the team unless you transfer ownership first or want to fully delete the team.
To leave a team, complete the following steps in the nRF Cloud portal:
- Select the team you want to leave in the upper right corner next to the menu.
- Click the gear icon next to the Current Team page title and select Leave.
- Click OK to confirm you want to leave the team.
You can remove any user from a team as an owner. An admin can remove any user except the owner.
If you lose all associations to teams, the next time you log in, a new team is created for you as if you just created your account.
If the owner leaves the team, the team is automatically deleted.
Managing your teams
The nRF Cloud portal has various elements that allow you to manage teams where you are an owner or admin, and to view teams where you are an editor or viewer.
Inviting users to a team
The team owner can invite other users to join the team by email. An invitation is sent to the invitee's email, with a link to accept the invitation and join the team.
To invite a user, complete the following steps in the nRF Cloud portal:
- On the Current Team page, click the plus sign (+) on the Invitations card.
- Enter the user's email address.
- Choose the user's role.
- Optionally, assign device groups to the user.
- Click the Send button.
Accepting an invitation
Once the owner creates an invitation, you receive an email stating that you have been invited, with a link to accept the invitation. The link includes an invite token that is used to look up the invite information.
The link takes you to the nRF Cloud portal login page.
If you do not already have an nRF Cloud account, you must create one before joining the team. After you log in, you are prompted to join the team. You can either accept or decline the invitation.
If you have just created a new account:
- Clicking Accept adds you to the team. It is your only team.
- Clicking Decline causes a new team to be created for you as usual for new accounts. You are the only team member.
If you already have an account:
- Clicking Accept adds you to the team. Your other teams are not affected.
- Clicking Decline logs you in to your most recently used team. Your team associations are not affected.
Invitations expire 24 hours after being sent. You cannot join the team by clicking the link after that time.
Below is an example email inviting a user to join a team as an editor.
From: nRF Cloud <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Subject: Invitation to collaborate on nRF Cloud
Lisa Thomason has invited you to join their team (Acme Engineers) on nRF Cloud.
Click the link below to sign in and join the team.
Note: Your invitation will expire in 24 hours
You are invited with the editor role. You are allowed to:
* Add/remove devices and SIM cards
* View device information
* Modify device groups on devices
The nRF Cloud team
Transferring ownership of a team
As a team owner, you can transfer the owner role to a team admin. This means they also take responsibility for management of the team plan and billing.
To transfer ownership of a team to an admin:
Click the drop-down menu with your team name in the upper right corner.
Select the desired team.
Click the three-line menu in the upper right corner.
Click the gear icon next to the name of the admin you would like to make the new team owner.
Click Change role.
A pop-up opens.
Select Owner from the drop-down menu.
transfer ownershipin the text box to confirm.
The team member receives an invitation to accept ownership of the team with a link to the nRF Cloud portal. Once they accept, your role changes to admin.
To accept a transfer of ownership:
The team owner initiates the transfer. You receive an email with an invitation and a link.
Click the link to accept.
The nRF Cloud portal opens in your browser.
Read the terms and click Accept.
You can now view the team's Manage plan page.
You are now the owner of the team. You can perform all admin actions, in addition to managing the team plan and billing.
Service evaluation token
A service evaluation token lets you use nRF Cloud Location Services for a trial period. For more about service evaluation tokens, see Tokens and keys.