This page collects recent changes to the nRF Cloud system.
If a category is not included in the changelog for a given month, there are no changes within that category.
This section lists the changes deployed in September 2022.
- Charges for Location Services and FOTA are now based on the request only. The messages associated with those operations are filtered from usage metrics.
- For example: If your device initiates an A-GPS request that sends and receives multiple messages, you will be charged only for the request. The associated messages are still stored, but they are not counted toward your usage limits or charges.
- These messages are also not included in the total message count on your Dashboard.
- The MQTT endpoint is now
mqtt.nrfcloud.com. This is in addition to the previous MQTT endpoint automatically generated by AWS, so you do not need to change anything in your implementation.
In the nRF Cloud portal:
- Improved error feedback when creating an update bundle with invalid characters in the version name. Valid characters include letters, numbers, periods (
.), underscores (
_), or dashes (
- Improved dashboard loading speed.
In the nRF Cloud portal:
- When selecting a date range for location history data in the portal, the end date is now correctly applied.
- When adding your personal information, the Country field includes a drop-down menu with standard country names. Phone prefixes, states, and regions now display correctly when the desired country is selected.
The nRF Cloud documentation has undergone an extensive restructure. Content is now sorted by topic and no longer split between Reference and Guides.
Conceptual and instructional material are now under the same topic. For example, the Location Services item in the navigation bar contains both an overview of the services and specific tutorials.
Updated Managing your nRF Cloud plan to reflect changes to Location Services and FOTA message charges.
Updated the guide to tokens and keys to reflect changes to service key handling.
The header and footer have received updated backgrounds.
This section lists the changes deployed in August 2022.
New in nRF Cloud portal:
- Support for EIDs in addition to ICCIDs for iBasis SIM cards.
- Accuracy toggle for Location Services map
- Only one service key is required for Location Services. nRF Cloud now accepts a JWT signed with any service key.
Improved in the nRF Cloud portal:
- Owner transfer
- Warning about plan limits
- Location usage dashboard
- Plan downgrade handling
- Plan pricing page viewable while logged in
- Service usage shown on the dashboard in nRF Cloud portal is now calculated accurately.
- Teams that upgrade to Pro from Developer after exceeding Developer service limits are no longer denied service.
- New page on tokens and keys for REST and proxy server authentication.
- Improvements to billing and pricing information.
This section lists the changes deployed in July 2022.
- Location requests now use proprietary reliability and accuracy data accumulated from multiple third-party location service vendors. nRF Cloud calculates the fastest and most accurate location based on the best third-party vendor in the device's region.
- Billing plan downgrade takes effect at the end of the month instead of immediately.
- Improvements to billing operations in the nRF Cloud portal.
- LTE devices in the nRF Cloud portal were labeled RSSI (now RSRP).
- Removing a team member removed the initiating user instead.
- Fixed team ownership transfer.
- User name was not set in the nRF Cloud portal upon account creation.
- Page crashed on active gateway.
This section lists the changes deployed in June 2022.
Billing and plan features introduced:
- Three billing plans are now offered: Developer, Pro, and Enterprise. Enterprise plans require involvement of Nordic Semiconductor sales personnel.
- Team owners can change their plan between Developer and Pro. Details for each plan are shown on the Manage plan page.
- Owners can manage their Pro plan's credit cards and view their payment history.
- Owners can manage their overage preference and service keys for the proxy location services covered in the Pro plan.
- Owners can transfer ownership of the team to an admin.
- Users can track their current estimated usage and costs for the services covered by plans.
- GNSS fixes provided by devices in PVT format are now supported and displayed on the location map in the nRF Cloud portal. Before, only fixes in NMEA format were supported.
- Users can enter an iBasis SIM card's ICCID or EID identifier when registering a new one. Before, only the ICCID was allowed.
- SIM cards that were added but not verified could not be deleted.
- Fixed location request routing with mobile network codes (MNCs) with leading zeros.
- Fixed vendor performance tracking.
- New guide to GNSS and GPS assistance.
- New reference page and guide to billing and plans.
- Updated Teams reference page to reflect role changes related to billing.
- Full modem support: doc fixes.
This section lists the changes deployed in May 2022.
A new Ground-Fix endpoint for REST, to retrieve the location of the device based on the nearest Wi-Fi access points or LTE towers.
- This option minimizes the number of requests and can extend battery life for low power devices.
- It allows devices to send whatever they have and let the Location Service determine the best location based on what the device provides.
- You can send either or both, using the same formats as with cell or Wi-Fi endpoints. The server returns the best location.
Owner role in the Teams feature.
- Owners have all of the privileges that Admins had before.
- There can only be one Owner in a team.
- All existing teams are updated to promote Admins to Owners. If there was more than one Admin on a team, the Admin that was created first has been promoted to Owner.
- Admins can no longer do the following:
- Invite users to a team by email address.
- Cancel an invitation you created before the invitee accepts.
- Modify team information, such as the name.
- Delete a team. All associated devices and user relationships are deleted, and any outstanding invitations are rejected.
- Generate evaluation tokens.
Totalfield in the
- Previously, the
ListMessagesREST API request returned a total as: "Reflects the total results, not just the total returned by a singular page of results."
- Due to the migration to a new type of database for scalability and efficiency, the total now shows the total returned by a single page of results, not total results for all pages.
- The usage of the API has not changed. If there is a
pageNextTokenin the response, there are more results. Pass this token in your next request to obtain the next page of results.
- Previously, the
- Updated Location Services to support automatic selection of the best vendor for the requested geographic region when doing cell requests.
- Full modem FOTA fixes.
- Proper validation and denial of the
+character in firmware version names.
- Improved reliability of iBasis SIM card activation and removal.