This tutorial shows you how to work with Teams in the nRF Cloud portal. For more information about the feature and the concepts, see the Teams page in the Reference section.
Create a team
When you create a new account in the nRF Cloud portal, a team is created for you. You are the owner of that team as the only team member. A team can only have one owner.
To create additional teams, complete the following steps in the portal:
- Click the menu icon in the upper right corner and select Team.
- In the Team section, click the gear icon in the upper right corner and select Create.
- Give your team a name and click Save.
The Team section changes to Current Team and contains your team name and ID.
Leave a team
You can leave a team at any time.
To leave a team, complete the following steps in the nRF Cloud portal:
- Select the team you want to leave in the upper right corner next to the menu.
- In the Current Team section, click the gear icon in the upper right corner and select Leave.
- Click OK to confirm you want to leave the team.
You can remove any user from a team if you have an owner role. An admin can only remove viewers and editors.
If a user loses all associations to teams, the next time they log in, a new team is created for them as if they just created their account.
If the team owner leaves the team, the team is automatically deleted.
Rename a team
If you are the team owner, you can rename it.
To rename a team, complete the following steps in the nRF Cloud portal:
- Select the team you want to rename in the upper right corner next to the menu.
- In the Current Team section, click the gear icon in the upper right corner and select Rename.
- Enter a new name for the team and click Save.
The new name of the team appears in the upper right corner of the bar next to the menu and in the Current Team section.
Delete a team
If you are an owner on a team, you can delete it. All users are removed from the team, all associated devices are deleted, and any outstanding invitations will not be accepted.
To delete a team, complete the following steps in the nRF Cloud portal:
- Select the team you want to delete in the upper right corner next to the menu.
- In the Current Team section, click the gear icon in the upper right corner and select Delete.
- Click OK to confirm you want to leave the team.
If you delete your only team, you are logged out. The next time you log in, a new team is created for you, as if you just created the account.
Invite users to a team
The team owner can invite other users to join the team by email. Choose a role that is assigned to the invitee if they accept the invitation to the team, and optionally a set of device groups to assign to the invitee. An invitation is sent to the invitee's email, with a link to accept the invite and join the team.
To invite a user complete the following steps in the nRF Cloud portal:
- Click the plus sign (+) on the Invitations section of the Teams page.
- Enter the user's email address.
- Pick the user's role.
- Optionally, assign device groups to the user.
- Click the Send button.
The invited user (invitee) receives an email stating that they have been invited, and a link to accept the invitation. The link includes an invite token that is used to look up the invite information.
The link takes the user to the nRF Cloud portal's login page. The invitee might not have an account on nRF Cloud yet. If they do not, they must create one before joining the team. After the user logs in, they are prompted to join the team. They can either accept the invitation or decline it.
For users that have just created a new account:
- Clicking Accept joins them to the team. That is their only team.
- Clicking Decline causes a new team to be created for them as usual for new accounts. They are the only team member.
For users that already have an account:
- Clicking Accept joins them to the team. Their other teams are not affected.
- Clicking Decline logs them in to their most recently used team. Their team associations are not affected.
An invitation expires 24 hours after being sent. The user cannot join the team by clicking the link after that time.
Below is an example email inviting a user to join the team as an editor.
From: nRF Cloud <email@example.com>
Subject: Invitation to collaborate on nRF Cloud
Lisa Thomason has invited you to join their team (Acme Engineers) on nRF Cloud.
Click the link below to sign in and join the team.
Note: Your invitation will expire in 24 hours
You are invited with the editor role. You are allowed to:
* Add/remove devices and SIM cards
* View device information
* Modify device groups on devices
The nRF Cloud team
Managing your teams
The nRF Cloud portal has various elements that allow you to manage your teams where you are an admin, and to view your teams where you are an editor or viewer.
To explore these elements of the portal, take the tour while logged in. It is shown the first time you select the Teams option from the three-line menu in the upper right corner of the portal. If you have already taken the tour and want to see it again, go to the Teams page, click the three-line menu in the upper right, and select Tour.
Service evaluation token
A service evaluation token lets you use nRF Cloud Location Services for a trial period. For more about service evaluation tokens, see the Location Services introduction.